Puppy Preschool with Vets @ North Rocks
Our puppy preschool classes run twice a week on Mondays and Thursdays at 7pm. Each stream runs for four consecutive weeks, and each class runs for approximately one hour. Be sure to get in quick because they tend to book out well in advance.These puppy classes are coordinated and run by our qualified Puppy Preschool teacher, Georgia, who you might recognise from the front desk! To make any further enquiries or book your puppy in please call Georgia at the clinic on 9873 1660.
Puppy preschool is a safe way to socialise your puppy with both people and other dogs. Puppies have a "critical socialation period" between 4-18 weeks of age. Your puppy's experiences during this time will affect its behaviour later in life. Puppies that are isolated and unsocialised are more likely to develop behavioural problems such as anxiety, fearfulness, aggression, hyperactivity and destructive tendencies. In order for your puppy to become a polite canine citizen it is important for them to be regularly handled and socialised with other puppies in a safe environment.
It is very important that you do not mix your puppy with other dogs in public places until they are fully immunised.
- Basic training
- Sit (or shake)
- Toilet training
- Behavourial problems such as Jumping
- Biting or chewing inappropriate things
- The importance of socialisation
- Available dog leash parks in our area
- Stay/Come command
- Importance of examinations at home
- Vaccination importance
- Intestinal worm care
- Heartworm care
- Fleas - prevention and maintenance
- Ticks - paralysis and bush - prevention and maintenace
- Physical and mental enrichment
- Choice of food
- How to check ideal body weight
- How much to feed your dog
- Dangerous foods - what are they?
- Training - Drop/Down
Week four: Graduation
- Look command
- Desexing - Why and when?
- Council regalations and fines
- What to do with emergencies
- Graduation ceremony